- September 10, 2018
- Comments: 8 Comments
- Posted by: admin
Portion control for healthy weightloss can be a challenge for all of us especially in today’s society where food is aplenty. The average portion sizes have increased significantly over the last 30 years. Even if you are eating well, too much of a good thing is still too much. When it comes to weight loss and weight gain portion sizes is a major factor. Most of us are eating way more than we really need to eat. Our body does not need a lot of fuel if we are feeding ourselves with nutritious options.
So what constitutes an appropriate portion size?
SO WHAT IS THE RIGHT PORTION FOR WEIGHTLOSS?
The following list is a guide to what constitutes a portion for everyday foods?
- About a palm-sized serving of meat, chicken or fish for lunch or dinner
- 2 eggs is one serve. Allow around 4-6 eggs per week instead of another protein source
- Two serves of fruit per day
- 2-3 cups of cooked vegetables or 4-5 cups of fresh salad per day
- A tennis-ball sized serve of brown rice, quinoa, oats
- 2 slices of bread is 1 serve (allow 1 serve a day)
- A small handful of nuts per day (around 15 almonds, 10 brazil nuts, 15 cashews)
- Two finger-widths size for the occasional snack such as a protein bar
- 1 Tbsp of dressing (olive oil, lemon juice, vinegar)
- 1 thin spread of butter or avocado on bread per day
TRICKS TO PORTION CONTROL
- Eat from smaller plates and bowls. Consider eating your main meal from an entrée sized plate, and soups and desserts from a childs bowl.
- Fill at least half your plate with salad of non starchy vegetables (such as lettuce, spinach, broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus, squash, zucchini, eggplant and beans).
- 1/4 can be a protein source including meat, chicken, fish or tofu, lentils/beans.
- Drink from tall skinny glasses instead of short wide glasses as skinny glasses look fuller.
- Keep on hand small containers for portioning out snacks rather than eating from the original packaging.
- Choose a salad option when dining out
- Drink a large glass of water 10- 15 minutes before a meal.
- Think 20 percent less overall food on your plate and 20 percent more vegetables or salad on your plate.
Set yourself some goals and aim to reduce your portion sizes this week!